RELEASE DATE: Tuesday, January 23, 2024
A New Reuse Center at the South Transfer Station
Park Rapids, MN, January, 2024 – Hubbard County Solid Waste Department has been accepting reuse items for more than twenty years. For the most part Hubbard County residents and businesses have had opportunities to do material exchange of reusable items at the Hubbard County Transfer Stations in small uncovered areas since the day the stations opened. The South Transfer Station’s most recent Reuse Lane has been located on the opposite of the outdoor express lane. Over the years, the reuse areas have changed and moved around the facility but have always been open to the elements.
In 2022, The Hubbard County Solid Waste Department began exploring ways to:
- reduce the number of reusable/repurposable items entering the county’s waste stream.
- start to measure Hubbard County reuse numbers for the MPCA (Minnesota Pollution Control Agency) SCORE report.
- promote and support Hubbard County businesses and residents to increase participation in material exchange reuse activities to keep reusable/repurposing items out of the county waste stream.
As a part of a soft-opening, Monday February 5, 2024, the Hubbard County South Transfer Station will move the current Reuse Lane up to the old transfer station building (D Bldg.). The building’s new name will be Hubbard County Reuse Center.
All residents and businesses entering the South Transfer Station must turn right and check-in with a Solid Waste team member at the Transfer Station Building (A Bldg.) before going to the new Reuse Center. After check-in resident/businesses will be allowed to drop-off reuse materials to the Reuse Center during regular transfer station hours.
Hubbard County Reuse Center hours
Monday through Friday 8:30 -4:00
Saturdays 8:30 – 2:30
Saturday, February 3, 2024 the current South Transfer Station Reuse Lane will be permanently closed at 3:00 pm.
The Hubbard County Solid Waste Reuse Center goals are to:
- increase the space for the public to participate in material exchange of reusable and repurposed items
- provide added space including some covered space to make material exchange more effective and sustainable.
- reduce the amounts of reusable materials going into the county waste stream which reduces solid waste costs
- reduce the amount of building construction and demolition materials going into the county landfill
- develop a drop-off system which allows the county to measure the quantities of reuse materials being saved out of the county waste stream
- support community organizations and community-based reuse, repair and recycling efforts.
Be on the lookout for more information in the coming weeks.
Contact Hubbard County Solid Waste Offices
812 Henrietta Ave S
Park Rapids, MN 56470